(Tiếng Việt: Cách chuyển đổi bằng lái xe nước ngoài sang bằng lái xe Việt Nam ở Đà Nẵng).
David: How I can get a Vietnamese driver’s license in Da Nang? I have a UK driver’s license and a 2 year residence card issued in Da Nang.
DanangExpats.com: According to the Article 49 & 53 of the Circular No. 58/2015/TT-BGTVT issued on Oct 20th, 2015 and valid from Jan 01st, 2016, you will probably get a Vietnamese driver’s license in Da Nang with your above documents.
Your Vietnamese driver’s license will be valid based on your temporary residence card’s length or on your original driver’s license’s validity. Here are necessary documents and information you need to prepare before going to the government authority to convert it:
- Copy of your passport, visa and stamp.
- Copy of your residence card (issued in Da Nang).
- Copy of your driver’s license.
- Notarized translation in Vietnamese of your driver’s license.
- 2 photographs 3×4 cm.
- Converting form of Appendix 28 (enclosed in the Circular No. 58/2015/TT-BGTVT).
- All above original documents to show.
- 135,000 VND (converting fee).
Other cases that a foreigner can drive legally in Viet Nam:
- Viet Nam accepts international driver’s licenses (IDL) issued based on The Convention on Road Traffic 1949 and 1968 so it means, if you have these above licenses, you can drive legally in Viet Nam. In order to do that, you just bring your IDLs enclosed with your national driver’s license (NDL). These above licenses are validly used in Viet Nam without converting them, just are translated into Vietnamese language (with notation).
- In case you are holding your valid original national motorbike/car driver’s license (not international one), and a residence card issued in Viet Nam (or relevant papers certify that you register long term residence in Viet Nam), then you can get Vietnamese driver’s license by converting them into Vietnamese one. The procedure is aforementioned in this post. It takes 1 week to process this license (from car to car, or from motorbike to motorbike license).
For the correct procedure, please contact us or go directly to Da Nang department of transport – 24 Tran Phu to ask for the updates.
For complicated cases, or needing our assistance to prepare and/or go with you to process your converting documents in Da Nang , feel free to contact us to get a quote.
Updated: June 13th, 2017.